Ingredients for Ukdiche Modak Recipe
- Rice flour 1 1/2 cups
- Water as required
- Salt a pinch
- Oil 1 teaspoon for greasing
- Fresh coconut grated 1 1/2 cups
- Jaggery grated 1 cup
- Poppy seeds (khuskhus) roasted 1 tablespoon
- Green cardamom powder a pinch
- Nutmeg powder a pinch
- Heat 1 ¼ cups of water with salt and one teaspoon of oil in a deep non-stick pan
- Bring to a boil, reduce flame, and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stir continuously to prevent the lumps from forming. Cover the pan with a deep lid and pour some water into the lid. Cook on low flame for 3 – 4 minutes
- Remove the lid, sprinkle some cold water on the rice flour and cover again with the lid Bring to a boil, reduce flame, and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stir continuously to prevent lumps from forming water in it; cook for another 3 – 4 minutes. Repeat this same process twice more. Turn off flame and keep it covered for two minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a large plate, grease the palms of your hands with oil and knead the dough till completely smoothen and pliable, Now rest the dough covered with a damp cloth.
- For the stuffing, combine the coconut and jaggery in a non-stick pan and cook them on medium flame for 1-2 minutes until light golden brown, make sure that you do not overcook the mixture
- Now add the roasted poppy seeds, cardamom powder, and nutmeg powder mix well
- Divide the dough into twelve equal portions and shape them into small balls
- Grease palm of your hand with oil and spread each ball to form a three-inch bowl, press the edges of the bowls to reduce the thickness.
- Place a small portion of the stuffing in the center; pleat the edges of the dough and gather them together to form a bundle. Pinch to seal the dough edges at the top.
- Heat sufficient water in a steamer, Place the modak on a perforated plate in steamer and steam for 10 – 12 minutes
- Serve hot the tasty modak with pure ghee