Ingredients of Southern Fried Chicken:
- Chicken drumsticks – 500 gm
- Refined oil – 2 cups
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Curd – 1 Cup
- Garlic powder – 2 Tsp
- Onion powder – 2 Tsp
- Sugar – 1 Tbsp
- Powdered black pepper – 2 Tsp
- Paprika – 3 Tbsp
- Ginger – 1 Tsp (grated)
- Mixed herbs – 4 Tsp
- Firstly prepare the spice mix for seasoning the chicken pieces. Take a mixing bowl and add black pepper powder, garlic powder, paprika, ginger (grated), mixed herbs, sugar and onion powder. Mix all these spices together.
- Take 4 Tsp of the seasoning mix and add it in a large mixing bowl. Add curd to it & mix well.
- Now, add the chicken pieces in the large mixing bowl and mix them well with the curd and spice combination.
- Cover the bowl with its lid and let the chicken pieces marinate for few hours you can also marinate them by placing it in the refrigerator for 8 to10 hours.
- Sieve & add all-purpose flour on a flat plate, add 1 Tsp of the earlier prepared spice mix to the all-purpose flour and mix well.
- Once the chicken pieces has been marinated, take the bowl out, transfer the chicken pieces to a plate and drain the excess marinade.
- Put the marinated chicken pieces on the flat plate and dip them in the flour and spice mix. Put a deep bottomed pan on a medium flame and heat oil in it for frying the marinated chicken pieces.
- Once the oil is hot enough, gently add the chicken pieces in the pan and let them fry till they become crisp and golden-brown.
- Once done remove the chicken pieces and drain the excess oil on a tissue paper.