We agree that chicken and dumplings are one of the best foods, don’t we? It’s easy to make, healthy and tasty as well as the ultimate comfort food ever. In this chicken and dumplings soup recipe, you will find savory broth, shredded chicken, and root vegetables, as well as the chicken noodle soup.
Basically, this is a meal unto itself. But if you want something extra on the side, use regular green vegetables such as roasted Brussels sprout or sautéed greens, steamed broccoli and a salad would be great as well. You can enjoy this soup with bread or anything else in the morning or in the evening as you wish.
1 medium-size diced onion
½ cup peas, frozen
1 ½ tablespoon baking powder
½ cup of milk
½ tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1-lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup flour
4 cups of chicken stock, low-sodium
4 medium-size diced carrots
Salt and black pepper
- Use a medium pot to heat the chicken stock to a light simmer.
- Heat the olive oil or butter in over medium-high heat in a large 8-quart thick-bottomed pot. To sprinkle with salt, pat dries the pieces of chicken. Brown the pieces of chicken and place skin-side down first.
- When all the pieces of chicken are browned on all sides, remove them and discard the skin from the pieces and put them into the pot of simmering stock. Poach the chicken until cooked through in the stock for about 20 minutes.
Now, place them on a tray to cool for a few minutes. Now, pull the meat off the bones and cut the meat into 2-inch chunks.
- Again, heat the large pot to medium-high then add celery, onion, thyme, and carrot and sauté until soft for about 4 or 5 minutes.Mix the flour and make a gentle stir. Stir the flour vegetable mixture continually for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix the sherry to the flour vegetable mixture so that it can seize up and sputter. Now, add a ladle of hot chicken stock and make a stir. Until the broth comes together, continuously add ladle one after another. Now, add the reserved chicken meat and the rest of the chicken stock. Increase the heat to bring to a simmer. And when you are making the dumplings, reduce the heat to maintain a good simmer.
- Now, whisk baking powder, flour, and salt in a medium bowl to make the dumpling batter. Add milk, melted butter and chopped fresh herbs (optional). Until the mixture just comes together, mix with a wooden spoon gently.
- Over the surface of the stew, place the dumpling batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into the simmering stew. Until the dumplings are cooked through, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. While the dumplings are cooking, don’t uncover the pan once you have covered it because this will release the steam.
But, if the dumplings are not cooked through even after cooking 15 minutes, then cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle the segment of meat, vegetables, sauce, and dumplings into the soup plates. Add more salt and now, it’s ready to serve.
This chicken and dumpling soup is healthy and tasty, easy to make and you can make it in a short period of time. You can have it in the morning or evening. This chicken dumplings soup contains various kinds of ingredients such as vegetables, meat, roasted Brussels sprout and so on. This is actually a very good food idea to enjoy your meal and it’s healthy as well.